Friday, October 22, 2021

"I think"

 

No two words scare me more than "I think",

That precursor to confusion and danger.

Is it the comedy or the gravity of the situation,

Is it the human at the root of the problem?


That precursor to confusion and danger:

When he said, "I think we love the same girl,"

(Is it the human at the root of the problem?)

When I tried to defuse that bomb, "I think I love her not."


When he said, "I think we love the same girl,"

Did he not assume his thought and feeling outweighed all?

When I tried to defuse that bomb, "I think I love her not,"

Why did I assume it mattered what I thought?


Did he not assume his thought and feeling outweighed all,

On that day he twisted facts, ignored truth and incited a riot?

Why did I assume it mattered what I thought

And forgot that my action mattered most?


On that day he twisted facts, ignored truth and incited a riot,

I chose to dwell on lighter stuff

And forgot that my action mattered most

To the ones who would die in the days to come.


I chose to dwell on lighter stuff,

(His girl was religion and nation, I didn't know?)

To the ones who would die in the days to come

I turned my back to protect my life's love.


His girl was religion and nation, I didn't know

Even when he ridiculed, called me a traitor.

I turned my back to protect my life's love,

Now why would that be, I think?


Even when he ridiculed, called me a traitor,

I kept him as a friend, a jester.

Now why would that be, I think

I was saving myself from myself.


I kept him as a friend, a jester.

So dangerous it has turned out to be.

I was saving myself from myself,

With no guts to face our femme fatale.


So dangerous it has turned out to be,

No two words scare me more than "I think",

With no guts to face our femme fatale,

The gravity of the situation I took as comedy.



No comments:

Post a Comment