Thursday, September 23, 2021

30 years back & Now

 

30 years back, I wrote to her:


"Her dark hair straying across that beauteous face,

Black eyes filled dim, alight yet through the full race,

Tear stained cheeks glistening like moonlit waters anew,

Long wet lashes as reaching branches dripping dew,

Blood stained lips trembling, lucky breath to kiss her tender,

Yet not touching, harming her no more but silent yearn render."


Now, I write to her:


"Woman, do not smirk at my words 30 years old.

Yes, the wet lashes were mine and was I nervous!


Remember our first meeting? You congratulated me

For a race or a speech. And I replied, "Same to you."


I cursed every moment I did not have you, believe me.


Remember that drunken night I left you to be with my buddies?

At 6:00, I went to the coffee-stall for a strong filter-kaapi,

At 6:10, I knocked at your door, woke you up, kissed you.

All you said was, "Nice coffee." Did I go back to my buddies?


We were never into PDA, were we? Even in dotage.

We liked our secrets to be our secrets. 


Remember when you acted like a stranger, sexy in saree

Sashaying to the kerbside, attracting not just me,

I whistled and leered, the guys around ready to lynch me

When I said, "What a belly!" And you replied, "Same to you."


You fought all the tough battles. 

All I had to do was not to trip you.

I was no knight ready to die for you.

But, without you, I am ready to die."






No comments:

Post a Comment