Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Knots and Goli

Today, I went for a Hindu wedding.

Drove 100 kilometers to experience thousands of years of culture, heritage, pass-the-genetic-parcel and what-not.

I tried to enter the dining hall only in the third round. I thought I could make it. I was first in the queue, outside one of the doors to the sanctum sanctorum, at the start of the thirty-minute wait. By the end of that wait, there were fifty in front of me. Even the groom's mother (my aunt) had pushed me aside. No excuse me please. When the doors opened, I was left spinning like a frisbee as people rushed in. I should have displayed better fighting spirit in that four-hundred-strong musical chairs event.

"Relatives!" I spat.

I left the wedding hall, drove back home and had chicken biriyani at my usual joint.

I thought about the frenzy at the wedding. They did that for a vegetarian sadya.

Imagine what they would have done if there had been non-veg. Quite sure many would have said "goli maro" and a few would have acted on it.




No comments:

Post a Comment