Wednesday, January 8, 2020

ID(ea)


One score years from now a proud citizen like me will finally know who I am.

I have a dream that one day on the arid hills and the barren banks daughters of people who hate me and sons of people who love me will be able to sit down together for a good non-vegetarian meal.

I actually had a dream last night about getting "the" ID.

I filled a form in triplicate. I got two attested by the Powers Above here and there. The third had to be attested by a religious leader in the village of my great great grandparents. I went to that village. I found out that that was not really the village of my great great grandparents. One great great grandfather and two great great grandmothers were nomads like me.

I was instructed to take part in some tests. I went to that village again. No one farmed or did anything. Religion was big business. There were temples, mosques and churches everywhere. Even one temple of unknown faith. I went to that. The supreme religious leader promised to help me. He reduced the number of tests from ten to three.

The first was called "Chutta Kashu Andi" (Roasted Cashew Nuts).

I rolled on hot coal.

The second was "Thookku Adi" (Lift and Hit).

I was lifted to a great height and lowered suddenly. On each descent, my own people thrashed me with wooden sticks and metal pipes.

I did not get to the third test.

I have a dream that one day my better half will allow me to have the rest of that dream instead of kicking me off the bed leaving me with roasted nuts and whipped buns.

And with no ID(ea) of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment