Friday, March 12, 2021

When They Met

 

I was at Inorbit Mall (Malad West), trying out the free cookies at the shop on the ground floor. My wife was trying to drag me away.

"Pree..." I heard someone say softly.

I turned to see my wife say softly, "Sree..."

I bit into the chocolate nut cookie. I saw a lady behind Sree. She was eyeing my cookie. I turned to the counter, yet again, and said, "One more." The girl scowled first and then produced the plastic smile and gave me one more. I gave it to the lady behind Sree. She moved towards me.

Meanwhile, Pree and Sree hugged and started to reminisce about the past.

"I Shake," I said.

"Myself Nutty," she said between large bites.

"Nutty, shall we give them some space?"

"Should we?"

"There's a free coffee counter near Crossword," I said. 

"You Shake, indeed!"

We told Sree and Pree our destination. They did not even hear us.

Seated, coffee in hand, trapped in a serious bubble of self-doubt, we thought about the situation.

"No problem, no?" she asked. 

"Yes, problem, yes?" I asked.

"You know about them?" she asked.

I nodded. She too nodded.

"Look, let's evaluate the situation. What do they have to think about?" I said.

"Love, maybe."

"Exactly, that's all."

"That's all?" She did not sound convinced.

"No house, no bed, no food, no family, just love."

She smiled. Then, she scowled.

"No love for us?" she said.

"No love for us?" I repeated.

We scowled together, the best comrades-in-arms.

"Oh, don't worry, there's love for us too," I said wistfully.

"You think so?" she replied with similar spirit.

Pree and Sree turned up just then. They got for themselves free coffee.

"Flashback over?" we asked them.

"Oh yes, back to the present," they replied.

No future for Nutty Shake, we thought. 

And laughed.

Pree and Sree seemed bemused.

They too laughed.


No comments:

Post a Comment