Monday, February 22, 2021

The Art of Reading


I am quite sure you are not here to learn from me the art of reading.

Since that's settled, I can confess I have no idea about the art of reading.

I write more than I read. In other words, I hardly read. But, once in a while, I arm-twist a friend or two to read what I write. 

They are good readers. They teach me a lot about how to improve my writing. But, I never learn.

If I had listened to them, my short stories would have been much better.

It is not that I don't listen to them at all. Because of them, I have really cut down or even done without the 'flowery' stuff. Oh, you know, the part where writers go ga-ga, lyrical and descriptive about Nature, moods, etc..

There is one tangential issue I should note. How much do readers affect a writer? 

Some writers carry their own life, character and even acquaintances into the world of their writing. 

Some stay away from their own life, preferring a well-researched setting outside one's own world.

Is that because of the readers they expect?

So, what does all this have to do with (the art of) reading?

After a long time, I have picked up a few novels to read. Last night, I picked up one. I was still in the short-story mode: expecting a quick ending by the end of the chapter, my editing eyes cutting out stuff that would not be there in a short story, impatient when I reached chapter two.

Worse, with short story or novel, I read like a person who knew the author.

I will pick up another novel today. I will try to forget the author. Take each page as it comes. Try not to expect the ABCDE short story structure in every chapter (it is not a structure I personally use). Remain objective. Mildly critical. And, most importantly, try to get lost in that world.


No comments:

Post a Comment