Thursday, September 3, 2020

Know The Other Not So Well

One of the paradoxes in life is: if one wants a meaningful relationship with another, one should not know the other well and vice versa.

I am a member of two virtual groups. 


One group I joined about a decade back and only a few members in that group showed any interest in knowing me. A few used to read my stories. When they realised my stories revealed too much about me, most of them stopped reading my stories. With this group, I can speak my mind. I can poke them about god, religion, great leaders and such intimate matters. When I write badly (or rather, when they think so), they ignore my writing.


The other group I joined a few days back. But I have known most of them since childhood, and even kept track of the adulthood sins of a few. After the initial round of pleasant greetings, I assumed the smiling Buddha pose. They talk about ayurveda for cancer treatment. I smile. They talk about making money in such an economy. I smile. That is the problem of knowing each other too well. We know the childhood trauma of most; we know who all are still crazy; we know who used to kill cats; we know who was sexually awakened by Archie’s Betty and Veronica, Archie’s Reggie and Jughead, and George Michael, of course. None of them want to read my stories. They know me enough.


Next time you hear about millions supporting an idiotic great leader, smile. Try to imagine the childhood trauma they must have gone through.


No comments:

Post a Comment