Sunday, July 12, 2020

Letter from Anon.


My dear Shanthi,

I hope this letter finds you in the best of spirits. I should have written this letter long back. I feel guilty that it took a news item about people in some far off place  exchanging anonymous letters in these tough times to restart our correspondence.

Everyone must be writing similar letters. Yet another strict lockdown. I am stuck at home. It’s been ages since I met friends. I would love to eat out. And, more of such?

Did I sound that gloomy in my letters from hostel? When was that?! Then, didn’t we have dreams to share?

My dreams these days are so much simpler. Let me tell you one. 

In that dream, I am running to the post-office to send a telegram to you. “Hey, it’s me.” Was that my first telegram to you? or was it “How are you?”...weren’t we always a bit too formal?

Now, there are no telegrams. But, I could send this letter to you instead. If they will let me step outside this containment zone. If the post offices are open. If...

This letter is not going to be like my old letters. It won’t go on endlessly for pages. It won’t have details of what I did and read and thought. But, I loved your long replies. Oh, if only we could be kids one more time. I wish I could be the stupid lad who could once again send that disaster of a parcel with food stuff for you. Ha! Were you able to salvage even one item by the time you got it? How I wish I could send my first present to you yet again? Just remind me. Was it “The Unbearable Lightness of Being” or “Love in the Time of Cholera”? How I would love to meet you once again and giggle about the gifts. “It’s all about sex, isn’t it?” Ask me that again. And, this time, I might not change the topic. Not immediately, anyway. Why did we squander away precious time? Do we have any time left?

Why am I writing like this to you? Is that what you are wondering, my friend? Why do I call you Shanthi? Is it because that’s what we all need now...peace? Why have I assumed the persona of some old childhood friend? 

During this period of isolation and persistent worry, I wanted something or someone different to hold close. And, all I could think of is this letter to you.

Didn’t I promise not to go on and on? When you reply, please don’t follow this new rule. Let’s be our old selves.

Till...

Your friend forever,
The one and only
The crazy
Pal

ps. I miss you.




No comments:

Post a Comment